Maturity 101

|
I always hear mature conversations. I associate it with two or more adults talking, with someone who does what is right, & with people talking about life experiences & we gain some wisdom about it. Yes, I've always been associating maturity from how someone talks or does, & that's the reason why I get to feel ignorant or simply troubled that I couldn't make myself grow up a bit in terms of cognition & emotions.
  



But today, when I woke up in a cold sunny morning, I realized that maturity isn't just something that can be measured by how someone moves in a society. It's not just measured by how someone who is always right & does what is right. Maturity is more like something you learn or earn from doing something, regardless of how good or bad it was or how people see it.

Here are some couple of myths that I thought were mature before or what I've seen & heard from other people (I call it the maturity myths):

Maturity Myth 1: When I was a kid, I used to think that mature people are the ones who hang out & have coffee in Starbucks, who wear black & look professional & who think they're better than everyone else. (Though I love coffee!)

Maturity Myth 2: Mature people know how to cope well from anxiety & depression; they know how to solve all their problems in life & you don't get to see them panic over something.

Maturity Myth 3: I thought people are mature when they're being so quiet. It's just that they don't have to speak or share their thoughts to anyone else & that they always have the right answer.

Maturity Myth 4: Maturity line, the thing where you'll be a mature young adult, really exist!

Maturity Myth 5: Mature people don't have to play games, whether physical or online, for they are more focused on their work that has benefits that are more than what they get from playing. & yes, they don't just hang in Starbucks, they also get to go to different night clubs, dancing their time away during a Friday or Saturday night.

Maturity Myth 6: Pardon me on my silly judgmental days during my childhood, but I thought mature people are skinny. I think it's because people who have weight more than what they should have tend to be jolly people... & mature skinny people don't laugh at all. lol
  
Okay, I think I'm gonna stop with the Maturity Myth talks right here before I get way overboard. But seriously, we should all stop from getting judgmental. Nicotine, coping strategies, black clothes, overvalue of one's self, age, work than play, alcohol, serenity, clubbing, & being skinny don't make people mature in an instant. Don't worry, it's just something that I thought over to myself- research are based on my experiences only. You're actually free to share one or two of your MM's.

At the end of the day, maturity is something you learn, value & shape up. It's not really an automatic thing that you'll get, it's more self-made than hereditary. I just realized that you get to become mature in a series of life experiences or realizations.

I also believed that love is a mature thing to do; loving someone makes you more sensitive to other people's feelings. It also makes you more appreciative, & you get to prioritize their feelings of happiness & satisfaction & problems over yours. That's Sweet November right there! lol

I'm gonna take some photos on our newly painted & reorganized abode. This is where I get to appreciate a small home- you don't get to spend over a week to furnish it (& that usually makes people lazy & stop from finishing it), you don't get to hire some workers to do the job, you don't get to overspend, you get to bond with your little brother & mother, & you're sure to finish the job in two days! lol. I'm gonna post the before & more-on-after pictures later, alrighty? Gimme a shoutout! Good morning & God bless!


Shaping in, shipping out, Aldrinne :D

1 comments:

theeggyolks said...

Ya~ it's very true that maturity is more or less like experiences. If someone is older, it doesn't mean that he/she is more mature. Maturity depends on how life experience is gathered! :)