Duty Gluttony

|
So on Wednesday I had my first ever hospital duty for this last semester. We were assigned in the O.R. Area in Pasig City General Hospital from six o'clock in the morning upto ten o'clock in the evening. Talk about 16 hours of torture, & I just got well from my illness.

Anyways, it's okay that I get to spend two duties in one day, since I get to rest on the following day (which is today). At least I could have a chance to get one or two major & minor cases. & during my duty, I scrubbed in on a major & three minor surgeries. They took a major toll on me.


First, I agreed to scrub in on a Mesh Herniorrhaphy that turned out to be an Incision & Drainage procedure. Honestly, I kinda panicked at first since my last actual scrub on a surgery was like five months ago. It was a smooth procedure though & the surgeons are entertaining. After that we took our breakfast & rested for a while on the Recovery Room.

I scrubbed in on an Emergency Pelvic Laparoscopy after doing some patient monitoring. Since I don't have that many major cases, I agreed to sacrifice my energy standing there for hours until the final suture was completed. I felt so burned out after the procedure, but I stayed alert for our mini-lecture on Perioperative Nursing.

Then another procedure was up & our clinical instructor asked me if I could do another scrubbing again. I looked at my other dutymates & everyone did the same. I was so exhausted already, but for my PRC's sake, I still agreed to scrub in the third time. It was a minor procedure of wound exploration.

So my fuel is empty already & I seriously can't take it anymore. I really wanna go home & take a rest, but just before our clinical instructor felt it's time for us to go home, another procedure turned up & she asked me again if I could scrub in for the last time! Talk about bypassing every OR nurses there!

This time, I was really the actual scrub nurse beside the doctor there! Some of my dutymates went home already because it was past ten o'clock already. I practically memorized (not really) all the instruments, & there are moments when I already know what instrument the surgeon would use next. I was scrubbed out after the final counting was completed & I thanked the medical team there for the experience! I went home around twelve o'clock & went straight to bed!


Sometimes the world needs people, whether nurses or just simple people, who are versatile when it comes to doing what is right for you & for everyone. I think our simple sacrifices just like scrubbing in four times in a row can also make a big difference in other people's lives.

Anywho, I'm gonna be typing some new compositions & will post it here soon so stay tuned for more episodes of Allan's Anatomy! God bless & hope you're having a good week like I am. Thank you for all the visits & comments guys! I love you! (By the way, I practically look a lot like that guy above, Dr. McDreamy. Although I must say, I look better lol).


Shaping in, shipping out, Aldrinne :D

0 comments: