Bipolar Disorder

|
I got tensed when I opened an issue of H&L (Health & Lifestyle) while waiting for my brother to unhook the DSL cord from the computer so I could use it in my laptop. The title says 'Suicide risk greater in people with bipolar disorder' by Rodney DP Dalisay, MD, FPPA. I was a little alarmed from the title, maybe because I had had suicidal thoughts before when I was incoherent & so depressed- I actually stated having it here in my blog.

Bipolar disorder was previously called manic-depressive disorder because the condition is characterized by high (manic) & low (depressed) episodes. However, it is not a single disorder. It is defined by the presence of one or more episodes of abnormally elevated mood referred to as mania. The patient may also experience bouts of depression.

I was a little worried when I came across that paragraph. It occurred to me that maybe I am having this disorder. I know I may seem happy (because I am), but some years ago I kinda experienced depression in the lowest days of my life. I wasn't very proud of it but I know I became emotional when I was in high school... I just didn't show it that often.

Maybe I have the disorder... maybe I don't. Bipolar has no single cause. Many factors act together to produce the illness, such as genetics, environmental factors, as well as psychological & social factors. In my case, I know that I had lived a good high school & college life, but of course, there are certain circumstances when everything just got so wrong- I don't know, but maybe I was always looking for the bad things that happened to me rather than the good things. Although now, my life is in flux with happiness, but I was hoping that this disorder will not give me enough reasons to think there was something wrong with me.

Special thanks to all the readers out there. You can drop your name in the Mark My Mouth Section of this blog so I could know the names who visited in Lefty's & in Allanned! God bless & have a sunny Sunday. ;)

Signing off, Hey! A!

0 comments: